(not so) Perfect Mama

Friday, April 22, 2005

Strange how life changes

I have been corresponding with my college roommates a lot lately since 3 of the 4 of us are now married and beginning to start families. It's funny how life changes. If you've had friends through different stages of life, it's fascinating to see how our life experiences continue to shape us. When I remember life in college, it seems a million miles away from life now. We were crazy, jumping headfirst into the social scene, meeting so many people through a drunken haze only to forget them in class the next day. I realize that no matter how far from my current existence those days are, they made me who I am today. We were experimenting with life, desperately trying to carve out our own paths, not realizing that it was the same path so many had taken before us, but to us, it was new. We throught we were grown up, independent, free. The truth was that we were just older adolescents, still dependent on mom & dad to bail us out when things got rough or the wallet was too light.

Now that we're older and at least financially independent (there's still no one like mom to talk things through with), I am absolutely loving how my friendship with my roomies is evolving. Getting to know them as they "grow up" and experience marriage, motherhood and careers. Our horizons have broadened and it's made us more interesting, and we can still share that crazy silly side of us that reigned supreme while we were students.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home